Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Essie Neons 2014 Review

Hey guys! I know that I'm way behind, but I've been trying out all of these polishes over the summer, and wanted to note how I felt about them since I already tried them and made the notes about them!


This collection has six polishes. They are all supposed to be neons, hence the name. It was titled "Too Taboo." They were advertised to be paired with Essie's Blanc as a base coat. I tried all of these polishes with and without a white base coat to do a comparison.

First up, Vices Versa. This is a bright, lime green polish. I did one coat of Blanc on the ring and pinky fingernails. On the white base, I used 3 coats, and without a base, I used 4 coats. The first coat was super sheer, but the second coat definitely made it look better. The white base for this one I would call unnecessary, but it does sort of boost the appearance and vibrancy. I did like this color, it reminded me of green candy.


Too Taboo is a dark, but vibrant pink. I used two coats of white on the same nails, and two coats of color on top of that. On the nail without a base, I used two coats as well. The nails with a white base were brighter, but the ones without were pretty bright as well. Adding it up, I need 4 coats of polish, versus 2 coats. I don't think the tiny bit of extra brightness is worth all of the extra work. The color was beautiful, and the formula was good. This was definitely bright, but I wouldn't normally classify this as a "neon."

Sittin' Pretty was a light purple, almost a neon version of a lilac. I used two coats of Blanc on select nails, and no base on the others. I needed 3 coats on the white, and 3 coats off the white. On the nails with the base, I liked the way it looked better, but I don't know if it was necessarily more vibrant, or brighter. For the extra work, again, I would probably call this unnecessary for the white base.


I'm Addicted was a light, neon blue. I would call this a true neon color. On the nails with a base, I used two coats of Blanc, and three coats of the polish. Without a base, I used three coats of polish. I could definitely tell a difference in the look on the nails with a base and without it. The ones with the base were much more vibrant. It was a very thin and sheer color. I thought it was pretty, though. The finish was semi-matte, but I top coated it.


Chills & Thrills was a dark purple-blue shade. It was very watery and thin for me. I used two coats of Blanc with two coats of color on top, and on the nails without a base, I used three coats. I would not classify this color as a neon. It was too dark, and I didn't feel that it was vibrant enough. After I finally got enough coats on, it looked smooth, but before that, it was horrible.


Finally, we have Serial Shopper. This polish required two coats of Blanc plus two coats of polish, or three coats of polish. The shade on the white was brighter, but I felt that it was more orange with the white base. I feel like this polish is the same color as Resort Fling by them, but a watery version. In some lighting, it was more orangey, and in some lighting it was more pink. Overall, this was probably my least favorite color of the collection.


Overall, I thought that this collection was not the best formulations I've ever used. The colors were pretty, and I liked most of them, but I felt like I had to work with them. These polishes can still be purchased on their website, or you may be able to find them at Walgreens still, as I still see them in mine over with the rest of the polishes.

Thanks for reading <3


*I am not sponsored in any way. All polishes were purchased with my own money. All opinions are truthful and my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment